When Satan lies, he rarely just makes something up out of nowhere because we would see it coming. He takes the truth and twists it.
He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
WHAT WE BELIEVE AS BIBLICAL CHRISTIANS
Christianity is based off of the foundation of Judaism but centers on the personal coming of God in the form of Jesus and his sacrifice to forgive sin. There are around 2.4 Billion followers of Christianity
2. View of God
Monotheistic belief system meaning that we believe in 1 God who reveals himself to us in 3 parts: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
3. View of Jesus
Jesus is God, and came to earth personally to save His people. Jesus died on a cross, raised from the dead 3 days later, and make a way to get forgiveness from sin if we accept his offer for relationship.
4. Holy Books / Writings
The Bible, Old Testament and New Testament.
5. Beliefs / Afterlife
When we accept Jesus' gift of salvation, we can spend eternity with Him in Heaven. To not accept this leads to us being separated with Him, which is Hell.
Differences Between Judaism and Christianity
Judaism is about 14 million people, which is .2% of the world.
- Being Jewish is not just a religion, its also a people group
- Practicing Jews only use the Old Testament (Tanakh)
and they really focus on the Torah (first five books of the Old Testament)
They don’t follow the New Testament
- They reject Jesus as the Messiah
Differences Between Mormonism and Christianity
There are around 15 million Mormons in the world, which is .2% of the world.
- Organized in 1830 in New York buy Joseph Smith, and is officially called, “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints”
- Mormons believe in the Old and New Testaments (King James Only)
but they also have other books: The Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and the
Pearl of Great Price.
- They believe that God is not a trinity,
but the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are 3 different Gods.
They also believe that God was born as a man
and progressed to godhood
- They believe that God the father had sex with Mary,
and that is how Jesus was born
- They believe that Jesus gives grace that resurrects you,
but real salvation comes from good works:
mormon baptism, tithing, ordination, marriage, and secret rituals
- Ultimately, they believe that if you do well enough,
you can be a God yourself
and maybe even get your own planet
- like their god who lives on a planet called Kolob.
Differences Between Jehovah’s Witnesses and Christianity
There are 8 million Jehovah’s Witnesses in the world, which is less than .1% of the world.
- Started in 1879 in Pennsylvania.
- Their holy books are:
The Bible (New World Translation),
, multiple magazines.
- They believe in a single Father God, not the trinity - called Jehovah
- Believe that Jesus is NOT God,
but that He’s actually Michael the Archangel,
and was the first thing that Jehovah made
- They believe that Jesus died on a stake (not a cross)
and that he was resurrected in spirit, not his body
- Salvation comes from earning it
- mostly through door-to-door work
and only 144,000 people can get to Heaven.
- They believe the 144,000 people are in already in heaven
and everyone else will have to live on earth for 1000 years
and live perfectly or God will annihilate them.
How Do We Reach All Of These People With The Gospel?
- Ask open ended questions and get to the person’s heart.
- Don’t call what they believe a cult (even if its true).
- Many of these belief systems rest on believing
that the Bible was translated incorrectly.
Spend some time with them looking through the validity
of our scripture.
- Share your story with them,
and focus on how God has CHANGED you.
- Often, when people leave these religions, they decide to not believe anything.
Introduce them to the truth of a God who loves them,
and bring the conversation back to Jesus!
- None of these people are likely to be willing to come to church with you.
Don't invite them to church, invite them to know Jesus.
Specifically Reaching Jews
- There are 333 prophesies in the Old Testament
that point to Jesus being the Messiah!
Specifically Reaching Mormons:
- Learn some mormon phrases and words.
- When Mormons go on their mission,
they are between the ages of 18-21
and they spend 18 months to 2 years away from their families.
Show them the practical love of Jesus.
- Be straightforward about what sin does to us and share with them how Jesus saved them from that.
21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.
Specifically Reaching Jehovah’s Witnesses:
- Jehovah’s Witnesses will most likely knock on your door at some point…
talk with them!
Introduce them to a God who loves them,
and who works alongside them to reach people.
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”